- THE AWATERE VALLEY -
a sub-appellation within Marlborough.
deep Greywacke soils compacted over millions of years by ancient glaciers.
Huge boulders, carried down the Awatere River, are strewn across the valley floor. The vineyards are partially protected from the prevailing north-westerly winds by a broad range of mountain peaks. Awatere valley wines are particularly prized for their intense aromatics, ripe flavours, dynamic textures and concentration.
- VINEYARDS -
Vavasour’s 196 acre (85 hectare) estate vineyards are located in one of the marquee sites for growing grapes in the Awatere Valley.
- CLIMATE -
The climate here is noteworthy for its wide diurnal temperature swings. The rainfall ranges from 279-406 millimeters (11-16 inches) a year, arid by any measurement.
- SOILS -
The soils are low in fertility and comprised of stones and pebbles mixed with clay and loam.
– Sustainable Winegrowing –
Preserving our environment and the quality of our wine.
Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand (SWNZ) was established in 1997 to help the industry elevate their performance in environmental, social and economic sustainability issues. Today, the SWNZ sets standards for vineyards and wineries that help preserve the environment and increase the quality of our wines. The group also manages communications with the public on the evolution and impact of our industry.
WE HARVEST FRUIT FROM OUR 196 ACRE (85 HECTARE) ESTATE VINEYARDS LOCATED IN ONE OF THE MARQUEE GRAPE GROWING SITES IN THE AWATERE VALLEY.
All of our vineyards are sustainably farmed and Vavasour Winery is Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand certified.
- All estate vineyards used in Vavasour wines are certified by SWNZ.
- Winemaking and bottling plants SWNZ accredited.
- Soil and vine tests are conducted by an independent expert who makes recommendations based on soil type and grape variety.
- Cover crops are planted to attract beneficial insects as well as to encourage nitrogen and other nutrients in the soil.
- Moisture in the soil is measured to determine the least amount of water necessary to sustain healthy vines
- Irrigation audits are performed regularly in the soil
Weed & Disease
- The Vavasour team is trained in pest and disease monitoring protocols
- Mowers dispense clippings under the vines to enhance organic matter in the soil